NSC Occasional Paper No 4 provides an evidence-based case and examples of practice that illustrate the use of authentic learning and simulations in postgraduate and on-campus learning environments, especially when applied national security policy education.
This report by Dr Henk Eijkman was been commissioned by National Security College o to examine the following areas:
- The place of authentic learning in postgraduate education.
- The methods used to simulate policy development and related activities like strategy planning in educational environments relevant to national security policy-making.
- Policy simulation methods that could enhance learning at the College and similar institutions, including teaching skills, technology and resource implications.
- The roles of technology in enhancing learning in policy development simulations.
- Ways to assess learning effectiveness through simulation.
This report presents the findings of a literature review alongside a set of selected examples of authentic and simulation-based learning.