Technology Surprise Forum – Call for Papers
The Safeguarding Australia Summit is hosting a Technology Surprise Forum on 9 May 2019. The Forum aims to highlight a range of high impact, but currently unexpected, future technologies that could influence the Australian national security landscape over the next 5 to 10 years.
The Forum will bring together Science & Technology (S&T) practitioners and researchers from across academia, industry and government to build communities of interest that will generate further research on technology and national security issues.
The National Security College and Defence Science and Technology are coordinating submissions for working papers for presentation to the Forum that address the following:
- What emerging technological innovations and convergences could surprise government in the medium to long term?
- How can government harness emerging civilian and military technologies to support national security?
Papers could be related to national security issues such as:
- Cyber security technology
- Disruption of serious and organised crime
- Counter Terrorism
- Child exploitation
- Countering foreign political and social interference/espionage
- Enhancing the integrity and efficiency of trade and travel systems
- Persistent monitoring of Australian Maritime Borders and Exclusive Economic Zone
- Emergency management coordination
- Impactful technology
There is an attachment with further information on these topics.
To be competitive, proposals should be 200 – 400 words in length, clearly outline what’s new about your research (it could be material you’ve already been working on for some time) and its implications for national security policy.
Nine submissions will be selected for further development into 5-10 page working papers for presentation at the 9 May Forum. Selected reports will be funded at a fixed rate of $15,000.00 (GST inclusive). Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 March. Please ensure that your name and contact details are included.
Successful candidates will be advised within a week of the close of submissions and the conference paper submission deadline is 3 May. For further information, please contact email@example.com